Healthy Snacking Basics

Everybody loves snacks, right? I spend around 75% of my day snacking, and the other 25% I spend eating my actual meals for the day! Just kidding. However, I do skip the bag of spicy Doritos and grab things like a whole-grain fruit-and-nut bar or some apple slices with peanut butter when I do get the urge to satisfy my munchies!

healthy snacks, snacking on a diet, what to snack on, snacks for weight loss, healthy eating, physical therapy mankato

Healthy snacking (hold the groans) doesn’t have to be hard or boring! The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reported that sensible snacking should be a part of your eating pattern as it can prevent overeating at meal times and helps us get those nutrients that we may not be getting during our meals. Eating some healthy snacks in between meals will also help sustain energy and focus throughout the day. Try to pair a complex carb with a fruit or vegetable. Some great ideas for healthy, satisfying snacks are:

  • Air-popped popcorn with some fruit
  • Oatmeal topped with some berries
  • A slice of whole-wheat bread topped with some peanut butter and bananas
  • Whole-grain crackers with cheese slices

healthy snacks, snacking on a diet, what to snack on, snacks for weight loss, healthy eating, physical therapy mankato

The options are endless, so don’t be afraid to get creative! Maybe save that bag of spicy Doritos for one of those days when you really NEED them. Let’s be honest, we all crave an unhealthy snack every now and then, and allowing ourselves to really indulge every once in a while is good for the soul. Happy snacking everyone!

 

Written by:

Katelyn Hagan

Dietitian Assistant

Riverfront Hy-Vee

507.625.1107

2019-04-09T16:55:38+00:00