We are spending more time than ever in the outdoors. The uncertainty of these times can cause a lot of panic and anxiety, but making time to unplug and get outside is the perfect way to manage your stress levels and stay active while in self-quarantine. We are fortunate enough to live in an area that has numerous trail systems and parks to safely enjoy with your family. Keep reading for some fun, local activities you can enjoy whether you have 1-hour or a full day!
If you only have an hour on a weeknight for an outdoor activity, we have some great options for you to try!
- Sibley Park – Take a walk around the park or work up a sweat in a game of tennis or softball with your family.
- Minneopa State Park – With 4.5 miles of trails, there are options for everyone from runners to walkers, and don’t forget to stop and check out Minneopa Falls!
- Red Jacket Trail – If you are looking for a quick bike ride, this 10.2-mile trail is the perfect choice!
- Minnesota River Trail – This 10.7-mile trail is another great option for a quick evening bike ride.
- Your neighborhood – If you don’t have a lot of time, taking a walk around your neighborhood is a great way to get some outdoor activity into your day.
Full Day Trip
A lot of us have more open time on the weekends right now, and planning an outdoor day trip is a great way to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors. Pack a picnic and mark your calendar for one of these fun family day trips at Minnesota State Park!
- William O’Brien State Park – Located on the St. Croix, this state park is a 2-hour drive from Mankato that boasts a 12-mile hiking trail and stunning nature views.
- Myre-Big Island State Park – This Albert Lea park has grasslands, lakes, and wetlands for you to explore. Bring your mountain bikes to explore the 6-mile paved bike trail and 7-mile grassy mountain bike trail!
- Nerstrand Big Woods State Park – Get your camera ready to capture the stunning wildflowers that bloom in this Nerstrand, MN State Park. With 11-miles of hiking trails, there is plenty of park to explore on your day trip.
We hope you can get out and enjoy one – or several – of these outdoor activities soon!